Wednesday, November 21, 2012

20 November 2012


We are two full days into Maryland by now.  Julia and I are alone in Lisa and Nick’s house this morning while they work.  We have a dog and a few cats watching over us, but we sit on the living room couch doing our morning planned work -- word problems and addition with carry-over numbers for math, a worksheet packet of reading and comprehension activities (The lion and the mouse -- a real favorite of mine!), an online puzzle, two conversations from Conversation Builder (an iPad app), and some questions/answers from another app.  We are working about an hour and a half.  Julia is not complaining at all.  In fact, she goes willingly from activity to activity, checking each one off on her  I don’t expect we will work on Thursday and possibly not after that until we get on the plane.  

Julia has rediscovered marble run here.  We have a set at home that she rarely touches but she loves it here.  She does have a bigger audience to help with and admire the work.  And she loves that bigger audience.  Sarah Grace has at least two or three teenaged friends around her at all times.  These are great kids and they dote on Julia often.  They took her into the back “shed” (quotes around that because there is heat and light in the oversized outbuilding) to play pool yesterday and she loved it.  They engage Julia in conversation and they never hesitate to listen and also to make sure she says hello and good-bye whenever they come and go.  And they come and go a lot!  

On Sunday, we went to church a lot!  I was like a Baptist church lady!   Lisa is the minister at the local UU church and I have always enjoyed watching her work.  Now that I am a UU, the work is more meaningful to me.  Her church is small enough to have a single Sunday service and because I usually go to service when I visit, the same people see me/us at least once a year.  We went to morning service, then a discussion on understanding by rephrasing the seven UU principles, then home for a bit, then a back to church for an evening worship the strives to have congregants participate in the service.  I must be becoming religious in my own way.  I enjoyed it all.

Linette, thanks for the book suggestion.  I did some of that sort of reading a few years ago before Julia learned to read and a tiny bit about number awareness.  Getting some understanding of the “why” of math operations is an excellent idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment