Sunday, December 2, 2012

1 December 2012


Mid-air heading east & DC

Traveling to DC to attend the AUCD Conference.  Two planes, an afternoon and most of an evening’s travel.  I sit and read the Richie Davidson book that I’ve been carrying around since the summer.  I take his 6 true and false tests about assessing emotional style.  At this moment, I wonder what my style would have looked like last year or the year before that.  The statement that stops me cold is “I expect that the next ten years will be better than the last ten years.”  I think I have always been able to answer “true” to that one.  I really can’t right now.  I’ve grown in resilience and regained some optimism.  I have some reasons and objectives and goals, but I cannot help but miss joy and the awareness of being the beloved.

Still, the switch that was thrown a few days before July 5th remains firmly in place.  I assess as resilient and focused, at least by my own appraisal.  And I am.  

Nice hotel -- Hilton in DC but I don’t know this town at all and I am scheduled almost every minute of my stay.  Tonight’s after-flight dinner and perhaps tonight after 8 are what I have free.  Two lunch times are taken, and if, perchance I really do network, I could fill more.  Right now, I feel a bit of a whine coming on about a full dance card but I know that busy and time filled is where my comfort zone is strongest.  And the fullness is my choice of exciting options.  

They don’t take credit card in cabs.  I have a map.  Maybe I’ll do the run/walk -- and you know where I will be -- tomorrow morning just to see the neighborhood.  The physical activity wouldn’t hurt me any.  Needing very hard to be back to activity.  I brought sweats and sneaker thinking this might be the time.  

Cable tv in the room and after surfing for 20 minutes, I have no regrets of living without it at home.  My junky tv comes in on Netflix and Hulu.  It’s all I need.  There is so much noise on tv.

Bedding down and sleeping without a thought to who is sleeping in the next room.  Funny how it is like turning off a light somewhere in the house.

1 comment:

  1. You may have run across this article already, but if not, you would find it intriguing: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/02/magazine/the-autism-advantage.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

    ReplyDelete