Monday, December 17, 2012


I have been writing and re-writing as I try to make sense of Friday’s killings.  I will not post what I’ve written, but this morning a Facebook friend posted a link to a petition calling for common gun control.  Almost immediately those commenting began to argue, and after days of anger, fury and sadness, I was able to articulate this:

“There are those who will fight for their "right" to own and use what one commentator referred to as "formidable killing machine(s) eschewed by most hunters, unwieldy for self-defense, similar to weapons used by our soldiers in Afghanistan and the weapon of choice of the Beltway snipers."  Their voices have dominated the discussion to regulate and ban fire arms.  Those of us who have a different vision of our children's future must commit to change, stand behind our President as he engages in discussion and become the majority needed to move our policy makers  beyond the influence of the NRA and weapon enthusiasts.  Simply put, we must be the change.  As for me, I care for my children and the children of my larger community too deeply to do otherwise.”

No comments:

Post a Comment