Wednesday, January 30, 2013


Snow today, enough to close schools in the regions but not ours.  Which is fine.  As long as there is no closing midday.  The snow is wet and the flakes are big, at least right now.  I ponder whether to shovel now before going to Waisman. This is the time of year when I wonder why I, or anyone for that matter, lives here!  I am not snow adverse but it does seem to last forever in Wisconsin.  Count my blessings time, obviously, and remember how wonderful this town really is.

Julia and I “played” money last night after supper at her request.  We took out the big plastic container of coins, sorted some change and played store.  We took turns putting prices on little erasers and challenged each other to pull that much money out of our coin piles.  $.44, $.78, $1.35.  It is still a challenge for Julia but she now understands what she is doing and why.  We will work with money this summer a lot.

Julia’s heel is finally beginning to heal.  A local pharmacy recommended a very heavy moisturizer -- something that almost needs to be put on with a spatula -- and we’ve been using it twice a day.  This is no miracle cure,  but it is mighty hard to peel the skin off her heel when her nails are cut short and her foot is slathered with greasy cream.

Julia’s compliance factor has been edging up since last week.  We hit a low maybe two weeks ago and I was really praying for change without needing some drastic change in meds.  I really noticed the change towards compliance the last two days when she almost willingly woke up for school.  She is still in my bed at night (for healing purposes) and so her alarm clock does not work.  But we’ve had two passable morning risings this week and I am pleased.

In math, triple digit addition and subtraction, with carrying over and borrowing.  Some of the theory is understood and although scaffolding is still necessary, she is beginning to get it.

Now, the snow and the shovel!

No comments:

Post a Comment