Sunday, May 19, 2013


This morning I woke up in Brooklyn on Cheshire’s couch -- there is the perfect spot for sleeping on that couch for which I am very thankful.  The tension and confused feelings of the past weeks (?), the strivings of the late winter and spring have disappeared.  This morning they are replaced with a sense of calm, decision, right-placedness and play.  Is it being with Cheshire and Chris -- after supper last night and before Julia went to bed we sat down and watch a tv show for Julia, I fell asleep.  Later, when Chris was finished studying for the night, we watched something for ourselves and I fell asleep.  Yes, I was tired from a day of travel but such immediate release into dozing bliss is not my usual reaction.   (I wonder if David’s naps in front of the tv before bed time and Lisa’s ability to take sleep when she needs it is something that I should allow)  These days, sleep may come or not when I decide it is bed time but the normal course is for me to awaken after 3 or  4 hours of sleep and struggle mightily to regain rest.  Or is it New York, the place of home, even though when I contemplate that thought, I don’t imagine that I can really live here.  

In any event, I am here, I slept through the night and woke up.  That may be enough.

Two days ago, umm, no three, Julia and her therapist were going through the daily schedule and came to phone call.  Julia has been practicing making phone calls to the grownups she knows who have agreed to take calls from her.   Teaching her to make phone calls has been a long, drawn out process.  Lots of rehearsals and scripts and lots of sounding like a bad actress reading a stilted script.  The grown ups she calls -- other therapist, Cheshire, our adult friends -- have been patient, helped Julia along and been thrilled with anything whatsoever.  On Thursday when Michelle asked her who she wanted to call, Julia piped up Amanda!  Amanda is the school mate with whom Julia had the play date after Quinnie’s birthday party last weekend.  Michelle and I debated whether to honor Julia’s request, and I thought there would be no hard in her trying.  Amanda is in class with Julia every day and Julia’s attempt at conversation should be no surprise to her.  

And so she did, and Julia had to leave a message.  Julia called again on Friday, and the girls connected.  I was at Waisman on Friday and Michelle sent me to text messages:

“Julia just got home and told me she wanted to call Amanda.  then she told me Amanda’s phone number and she was completely right!  Wow!”

It is a challenge most days for Julia to remember what she did during her school day, or some important tidbit from the weekend when I ask on Tuesday, but here she was able to retrieve Amanda’s phone number after dialing it once the day before.

And later: “She just talked to Amanda on the phone.  It went great and she had a smile on her face the whole time! She wants you to call her mom soon to plan a play date.”

We are not done working on phone calls but finally after months the fruits of our labors are visible.  Huzzah! 

No comments:

Post a Comment