Wednesday, November 27, 2013


Yesterday, Julia and I went to the supermarket before social skills group.  Julia is usually cooperative during food shopping trips.  She will pick out apples or lemons or the like when I ask her to.  Sometimes she will pine over some small stuffed toy or a junky gadget, but the food doesn’t really inspire her; however, yesterday, Julia asked if we could get some chips for her lunch.  And then she examined the entire chip aisle until she found something that was “spicy” and that I would approve of.  (We wound up with spicy salsa sun chips.)  I marveled at her attention.

Perhaps being hungry had something to do with her interest?  Perhaps she is a kid who should shop hungry?  

Two developments for me today:

1. I asked our PTO to sponsor a mindfulness class for Franklin-Randall families run by someone who has done the same at FUS.  I’ve been turned down today and told that if I wanted to move on this to get an outside vendor permit and rent school space.  I don’t think that the teacher I have in mind will want to go through that process or has the funds to rent the space.  Trying for a work around, but not hopeful.

2. Meeting someone today who is working with kids on mindfulness in the schools with the slim possibility of interning with her.  The way my luck has been running, I don’t expect it to work out.  There always seems to be something in the way.

3. Went to a training yesterday for the Family Navigator program at Waisman.  The training was for a program called Pathways -- a way to interact with families to gather information is a family friendly way.  Wow, to have such a tool and to really develop some skill using it.  Because I cannot be a navigator, I will not get that chance.  Deep envy although undeniable gratitude that such a thing is being tried.

I am so ready for this to be a long weekend.  I am feeling a physical regret about not seeing Cheshire or Lisa and family this Thanksgiving.  I am grateful for Amy’s invitation to dinner.  This change, however it has come about -- translate: this was not of my choosing -- still the change is not a bad thing.  It is what I asked for.  Possibly making me more grateful next year, possibly leading to some change that I cannot even now imagine.  Sometimes I feel my alignment with spirit/universe/god and marvel at the path.  Sometimes it is all just so disjointed and choppy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment