Friday, December 20, 2013

written 19 December 2013


Julia has had two very good days -- cooperative, compliant, adventurous and easy to transition.  I have no idea why.  I know.  I know.  I cannot really graph her moods and behaviors and find some correlation with what she eats, when she sleeps, how our relationship is going, but I cannot help the urge to help her get those ducks, whatever those ducks are, in a row.

As we dressed this morning to get ready to travel, I saw that Julia had scratched one of her sores.  “It itched.”  That skin is still so delicate and even though it looks pretty well healed, it take only a swipe or two to peel off a few layers.  My hope of being healed for this vacation and bandaidless dissolved.  She had been without bandaid for the last three nights and once again I was hoping that we could move on.  She did have her gloves on and so she had to take off the gloves to scratch.  She could take off the gloves but could not call me.  The endeavor continues.  

I was angry.  I am so invested in her healing.  I cannot separate and let her just do what she must.  

In speech therapy on Monday afternoon, Linda did some language/direction following testing.  I was disappointed to see that there are still so many concepts missing -- “After you touch the big, black shoe, touch the last house.”  Julia touches the house, sometimes even correctly, but omits the other directions.  If the directions are straight forward -- touch the house, the last shoe and the third apple -- she has a decent chance of getting it right.  What Linda noticed, and once she commented on it, I noticed it as well, was that Julia did not impulsively reach out and touch whatever was closest to her.  She thought, she attempted to follow directions and she wanted to get it “correct.”  

We are giving out holiday gifts to teachers and therapists -- bags of home made cookies.  Julia helped put some of them together but I thought she was rather oblivious to the process.  When we went to cello lesson yesterday, Julia noticed that we did not have a gift bag for her cello teacher.  I was surprised that she noticed.  

We are heading for Orlando.  We are far enough south to see green out the window and it looks so good.  Winter is still new and we have not had much snow yet.  Still, I anticipate wearing few clothes and flip flops.

No comments:

Post a Comment