Friday, March 8, 2013


It was rather a small miracle to wake up on Tuesday morning without pain.  The flu was almost over!  I still carried a small and constant headache and a queazy stomach but that was nothing compared to the total body ache of the days before.  I am still a bit tired, that extraordinary tired of being sick, but definitely on the mend.  

And it was fortunate to awaken without pain because the snow was beginning and over the next 24 hours, we were gifted with another multitude of inches that also seems to be more on my sidewalk that what they report on the news.  Still, no matter the tally, our lawns and gardens are landscaped in higher and higher white mounds.  If there is any whisper of spring, it is that a day after the snow stopped the shoveled sidewalks are clear to the pavement, proof positive that it was warm enough yesterday to get rid of the bits of snow and ice left behind by blowers and shovels.  

I hear that we spring the clocks forward this weekend.  I haven’t checked and wonder if it is true.  We are still so far from spring.  

Over the last week at school, Julia’s class has been writing about their families.  Julia brought home her notebook with the writing a few days ago and we read what she wrote together.  I am pretty sure that she had a lot of help because the composition was too smooth to all come from Julia, but her ideas were there.  I sent the notebook back to school without copying the paragraphs and now I wish that I had.  From what I remember, we are all tall, Cheshire and I are pretty and we both cook very well.  Our house smells like baking cookies and Cheshire really likes hanging out with Julia and make gingerbread houses with her.  Julia wrote about Daddy being tall and handsome and smiling all the time.  She said that he like to “write a lot” and we all liked music and reading.  She closed by saying that hers was the best family in the world. None of this is untrue but it is such a lovely, sweet romantic version of life.  I am pleased that she has it.  

After we read the essay together, Julia was quiet.  Then she said to me, “Mom, when Daddy died, you and Cheshire were together all day.  And I was alone.”  I was stunned that she was thinking about that, remembered any part of that day,  I told her that she was with Cathy.  And she said she remember but that she was not with us.  Then, I realized that my memory of the day was that we had shielded her from any knowledge of what was going on until later in the day when Cheshire and I came home from the hospital and I told Julia what had happened.  I have never thought to explain that day to her, didn’t imagine that she remembered any part of it.  And I am not sure that her memory is what she was feeling that day -- there must have been some pretty heavy sad atmosphere in the house even though she had not been told that David had died -- or whether she has thought about that day since then and realized that she was not with us.  Either way, it is far beyond what I thought her capable of.

Julia studied for a test for the first time this week.  It was for science -- magnets, circuits, and a bit of electricity.  There was a review sheet sent home and we went over it a few times.  I review it with her and her therapists did as well.  We all read it over and quizzed Julia on parts of it but it was all very light and quick.  I talked to her special ed teacher today and she said that when she gave Julia the test, it seemed like she had studied and she knew most of the material.  How cool is that!

In attachment therapy today, we were working on a hard page in her trauma workbook, a page about being put in a dark place and left alone when her behavior was bad at the orphanage.  It was a short paragraph, one sentence, and she took it to draw.  The picture of an almost naked little child with a volcano’s worth of anger pouring out of her behind a shut red door was startling and poignant.  After she brought the picture back to us, Marilyn pushed her to talk about the place.  Julia became icy clear as she talked about her feelings and what happened to her.  Clearly this was something that happened often and when she was an older kid at the orphanage.  One thing she said was the they made her take off her clothes when she put her inside the dark place which probably was a closet but what she could only describe as small and dark.  She told us that was why she would not sleep in the dark and that shadows scared her a lot.  During part of the talking, Julia was silent and was clearly not with us, either immersed in the past or disassociating.  She has not done this in a long time.  When she was finished talking, we tapped about fear and anger and sadness.  She was able to feel safe and sure that those things would not happen again to her.  When it was all over, Julia drew a picture of a baryonyx dinosaur holding a fish to eat.

Yesterday, I walked to one of my Waisman mentors, Barb, about what I was going to do next year.  So far, nothing has easily presented itself.  I moaned and groaned about that fact and that I don’t know what to look for.  After talking to another mentor a few weeks ago, I was encouraged not to look beyond what was possible in LEND -- a fit your dream into our box, at least for now.  I have thought about just leaving Waisman and pursuing some experiences in the community, maybe engaging in the contemplative practice community or at FUS, but after entertaining the idea for a short time, I come back again and again to feeling sure I should be doing something at Waisman.  Early this morning, when I first woke up, before the alarm, I felt a peace come over me.  Feeling sure that some opportunity will come forward -- not that I can sit back and wait but that I have no reason to stress about it.  I also realized that I will really miss the Resource Center at the end of this semester.  I am truly enjoying the work there and feeling useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment